Monday, November 2, 2009

Day Two, Round Two

It's 12 matches at the Salmiya Club, then the top four seeds take to the glass from 18.00.

Early results see England's top trio of Nick Matthew, Peter Barker and James Willstrop safely through, but Adrian Grant loses three close games to Hisham Ashour.

After a disappointing performance in Hong Kong, Hisham gave us a three-word quote: "Kuwait, Kuwait, Kuwait," and it looks like he meant it!

"If I hadn't had that five-game match yesterday, I wouldn't have won today," said Hisham today. "Before I came here, I hadn't had a good win for three or four months - yet I feel I'm playing well. But the way I played today is my game - my problem is that I don't play like that all the time. If I played like that, I'd be top five!"

"I used to be the one motivating Ramy - now he's motivating me,we always have five-setters when we train - and he's world champion! I need to move up - these are my last three years in the game. I know I have it!"


Other early winners, Thierry Lincou, Wael El Hindi and LJ Anjema.

The first big upset arrives - Tarek Momen puts out two-time champion David Palmer in three ... plus Cameron Pilley takes out world junior champ Shorbagy, and Daryl Selby beats Azlan Iskandar in a 135-minute marathon.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Tarek Momen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Cam !!!
    From all of us Lindsay Conner Jan Jon

    ReplyDelete